Please Donate and Support Whats on Your Mind!

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Driver eating while driving was given a ticket for 60 dollars


She took her hand off the wheel only for a moment. So when Ediri Tsekiri grabbed a bite of her sandwich while driving, she didn't think it was any more dangerous than changing gear or indicating.
Unfortunately, the police officer didn't see it that way.
And after watching the 36-year-old university researcher pop the 2in crust into her mouth, he pulled her over and accused her of breaking the law by not being in proper control of her vehicle.

Ediri Tsekiri was branded dangerous by the policeman who handed her a hefty penalty
Miss Tsekiri had been driving her Vauxhall Zafira between appointments down a 30mph road near her home in Liverpool, in November, when she was stopped. She had already eaten most of the chicken sandwich she had made.
'I had picked up a crust from a plastic bag on the seat next to me and I never took my eyes off the road,' said the mother of two. 'I was certainly no more distracted than if I had changed gear or switched radio stations.
'The officer asked me what I would have done if a child had stepped out in front of me. My reply was that I would have put my foot on the brake, the same as in any other situation.
'Everyone takes one hand off the wheel at some point quite legitimately when they change gear, roll down the window or change the heater settings. Police officers don't drive with both hands on the wheel at every moment.
'He tried to suggest that it was worse than using a mobile phone while driving but I don't accept that for a moment. The whole procedure lasted less than a second.
'I consider myself a good driver and certainly never take unnecessary risks. If I had been sneezing that could have been more dangerous than eating a morsel of bread.'
Miss Tsekiri, who works at Manchester University's school of nursing, paid a £60 fine and accepted three penalty points rather than go to court and risk a fine of up to £1,000.
Last year, Merseyside Police issued 46 penalty notices for not being in proper control of a vehicle. Offences included eating or putting on makeup at the wheel.
A spokesman said: 'There is no correlation between pushing a button on a radio, or changing gear and eating whilst driving.
'Each case is treated individually on its merits, but by eating at the wheel a driver is likely to be not in proper control of their vehicle.'

No comments:

Stars That Died

Today we lost

News flash